Sri M. K. Chhabra, IPS
Belongs to 1988 Batch of Indian Police Service.
- Manoj Kumar Chhabra, joined the Indian Police Service(IPS) in 1988 and belongs to Odisha cadre. As SsP he held charge of five districts including communally sensitive and Naxalism affected districts in Odisha. He also worked in various staff positions as SP and DIG earning a large number of commendations.
- In 2004 he went on central deputation to Govt. of India as DIG in BSF where he held field as well as staff positions in BSF HQ. He was nodal officer during the 2007 Assembly Elections in UP commanding 25000 troops leading to peaceful elections. For his services, he was awarded multiple commendations and the prestigious "Gold Disc of the DG". He was also selected as the Liaison Officer for the High Altitude "Kailash Mansarover Yatra" in Tibet, China by the MEA in 2007 which was completed successfully. He has been bestowed with the Police Medal for Meritorious Service and President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service. He received his M. Phil in Public Policy & Public Administration from IIPA in 2008-09.
- In 2009 he joined Bureau of Police Research & Development(BPR&D) as IG. His pioneering research work in Stress Management of the BSF troops has been published as a book which was released by the Minister of State(Home) in 2011. As IG Modernization, he prepared the Revised Police Modernisation Plan, pioneered the "Compendium of Equipment" for standardizing the norms for purchase of new equipment for police forces and played a significant part in preparing a SoP for use of Non-Lethal Weapons. He also held important positions as IG Training and IG National Police Mission in BPR&D.
- He has impressive research credentials and is pursuing Ph.D from IIT, Delhi in the area of Justice & Radicalism. His research paper "Emotional Intelligence & Occupational Stress: A study of BSF" has been published in a prestigious USA based international journal and was recently awarded to be the "Best Paper" for 2013, chosen from over 100 papers from different countries all over the world. He also presented a paper in the International Conference of IPES held in Budapest, Hungary in 2013. He also writes articles occasionally for various national newspapers.
- Apart from academic interests, he is also a keen sportsman and adventure sports enthusiast. He has played Cricket and Tennis at the State level and led a high altitude trek to Kailash-Mansarovar in Tibet, China (19650 ft). He runs the marathon and is a Para jumping, white water rafting & trekking enthusiast. His interests and hobbies are eclectic in nature ranging from Zen Buddhism, Sufi poetry & Philosophy to Rock, Jazz & Western Classical Music. He is also an active member of Ahimsa Trust.
- He was promoted as Additional Director General in 2013 and on return to the cadre, is presently the Director of BPSPA